Friday, September 28, 2012

A Sanibel House on the Move!

I was out this morning with Puffin for a trip to Sanibel Coral Veterinary Clinic.
By the way, we LOVE these people. :)

  
On the way home I started thinking about the Shore Haven House again and wondered if they had moved it this morning.  Instead of making my usual right turn :), I went straight up to the end of Dixie Beach Rd, when I got to the end, where it reaches the Bay, I looked over and there was the house!



 I drove up a little closer for another photo and there was Channel 2 car, they were definitely first.  :)  That made me smile.


I've seen houses moved many times before, but this is the first one I saw on a barge.
We did see a funny sight one day; a barge approaching the tall bridge with a HUGE tree on it. That was really a funny sight!


Since some have asked me why this house has any historical significance, I'm guessing that you did't follow the link for that info on my previous post.  The entire story is there.
Shore Haven is historical because it is a "kit house" sold by Sears Roebuck and erected on Sanibel in 1924, one of two that were known to been brought to Sanibel during that time.
It was, of course, modernized over the years, but will most likely be restored.  I can't wait to see it in the historical village.  If you come to Sanibel and haven't been there, it is a must see, if you like history as much as I do.


Yes, it's a house on the move!

No comments: