Thursday, September 2, 2010

Turtle Nest Thursday and Captiva

I know most of you are wondering about bicycle man, and so am I.  Yesterday afternoon, we went to his house, I rang the doorbell several times and then knocked loudly on the door a few times.  There was no answer.  Their car was there and both bicycles.  I don't know if someone could have picked them up and they were gone, or if they just didn't hear me, or simply didn't want to come to the door.  ???
Today, we drove past several times and the trash and recycle containers had been set out by the street.  Now we think he must be ok.  But, that's the only clue.  I'll let you know if I see him.

This morning, just before the sun came up, we drove over to the Sanibel Inn on East Gulf Drive, where we walked out to the beach to check on our sea turtle nest.  It is due to hatch, but since it had been washed over at least twice by high tides, it probably won't hatch.  If not, our Permittee will do a 70 day dig, to check the nest.  He had to dig a nest this morning in zone 1, which is the east end of the island, by the Sanibel Lighthouse.  It had also been washed over and none of those eggs had hatched. :(

As soon as we stepped out of the car, we could hear the shore birds, they were out in full force this morning.

It was a perfect morning to be on the beach.  There was a very cool wind.  I thought maybe the rest of the day would be a little cooler too, but it got up to 91.

Some things just never change. :)

There some small shells, but not interesting looking enough for me to venture very far searching.

Not many people on the beach this morning, as a matter of fact, there doesn't seem to be a lot of people anywhere on the whole island this week. Nice :)

There were more little shells out there, just waiting for someone to grab them with a net.

Keyhole limpet

Top shell

Auger and Button shell

Jingle and an Auger

After checking the nest, we did a bad thing, (An action that yields undesirable results to its subjects); yes, we did. We headed over to the causeway and from there, to McDonalds for breakfast. Not only do we enjoy an Egg McMuffin now and then, but we have a lot of laughs at the same time.  Now, they say laughter is good for your health, so I'm thinking that should even things out.

As we were going off-island, there was a constant line  of traffic coming on.

The grounded sailboat looks like it has tipped a little further over on it's side.  I imagine the tides, coming and going, may be filling it with sand. 

Looks like it's going to be a very costly ordeal to get this boat moved, whether it's done by the owner or Lee County Marine Services.

If a grounded vessel isn't reported by the owner, it is investigated by Lee County Marine Services to find registered owner identification, if an owner is determined, there are usually  charges, penalties, and fines involved.

An abandoned vessel is assessed to determine if it is a navigational or environmental hazard.  If it is a hazard, it is removed as quickly as possible.  It it is not considered hazardous, it may sit for a long time, waiting for funding sources. 

The removal of smaller boats is usually handled by Lee County Marine Services employees.  Larger vessels requiring extensive salvage, material handling, and hazmat containment equipment, are removed by private contractors.  Sometimes vessels sit for a long time, until there are enough in one area to make it worthwhile for a contractor to bid on the job.  

Abandoned vessel removal is very difficult and costly, as an example, in 2008-09, 63 vessels were removed at a cost of $313,132.  Lee County has acquired yearly grants from the West Coast Inland Navigation District and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to help with costs.

When we were leaving McDonalds I noticed the front page of The News-Press. When we got home I read it, thinking there had been a decision whether to open the Fall snook season or not.

Snook are among Florida's most popular game fish, which is why many fishermen are disappointed that Snook season has been put on hold.  The reason is because hundreds of thousands of snook died during January's record cold temperatures, when Lee County water temperatures dropped into the mid-40s.  South Florida is as far north as snook can usually survive; adults can die if water temperature drops below 55 degrees.

This fish kill is responsible for a ongoing snook spawning study.   Recent tests off North Captiva, show a major decrease in the amount of adult snook in spawning areas.

Due to the fish kill, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has prohibited the harvest and possession of snook until September 16.  There was a meeting today in Pensacola to study the research and make a decision whether to open the Fall harvest. There was a unanimous vote to extend the snook-harvest closure for Gulf of Mexico waters until Sept. 1, 2011, but to open the east coast from Sept. 17 to Dec. 14. The Atlantic Ocean waters will then be closed until Sept. 1. Catch-and-release will be allowed during the closure.

This afternoon we had to go to Bailey's Hardware, then somehow we ended up going for a ride out to Captiva.  When we passed through the village, I noticed all of the inflatable water toys that were hanging on the front of a little shop, aptly named Beach Stuff.  We stopped because I saw a small boat that looked like a perfect toy for little great grandson.  It had holes for his legs to go through so he can kick his feet. :)  That made the trip worthwhile.

On the way back we stopped at Blind Pass and walked out to Turner Beach.  There were a few people around, not much shelling going on. 

Now here's a common site for the area; a half dozen fishing rods, beach chairs and towels in the back and flip flops on the ground.

It was unusual to see no beach bums or umbrellas over on the Sanibel side of the pass.

It was really hot there, so we stopped at the Santiva General Store for a cold drink, which is a fun place to go and a nice finish to a pleasant day.


Dave said...

An interesting blog about abandoned boats Tootie. How do they come to be abandoned I wonder? They must be expensive. Could it be because the owners fall out of them and drown? - Dave

Betty Ray said...

Sigh....Oh how I miss it there. Love reading your blog to get my "fix" though.

NanaDiana said...

Hi Tootie! I read every word! I hope your Sea turtles hatch! Sanibel is just an amazing place, isn't it? It's own little world really. How weird to see deserted beached there. I suppose school is back in session and most of the locals busy with every day life...and the snowbirds haven't flown South yet. Thanks for the run through you day! Diana

Sanibelshell said...

Tootie, Thank-you for taking us along with you on your day, with your pictures and descriptions it seems as if I am right there. This was very informative especially of the Turtles and the new shell names I learned. Back to Studying thanks for the breath of fresh air.

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Its hard for me to understand why anyone would just leave their sailboat out there grounded for so long. Seems like they would/should be trying to rescue it. Great pics today. Love the larger font, too. Easier to read;) Counting down from 5 weeks now!! Whoo-Hoo!!

George said...

I can't think of a better time to be on the beach than early morning. Thanks for taking us along.

Heaven's Walk - said...

Hi Tootie! Oh, how I wish I were walking that deserted Sanbel beach today. Even in the 91 degree heat, I'd enjoy it. It's been an extremely hot and humid summer here in MI; similar to I'd imagine it's like down there in the summer. It was so much fun to see Captiva beach and Santiva General Store again. And I really enjoyed learning about the names of the shells you're holding. Thank you for sharing your beautiful Sanibel once again, friend. :) I miss her....