Monday, May 31, 2010

A New Crocodile Moves to Sanibel

The holiday weekend sure livened things up on Sanibel, Captiva and the causeway islands. I don't have any beach pictures for you, since the crowds helped me make up my mind to skip trips to the beach for a few days. We did make a trip across the causeway to get some groceries and drive on over to San Carlos, near the bridge to Ft Myers Beach, to a fish market. The traffic was so heavy, and backed up on San Carlos, that we nearly turned around. But, we finally made it.

You can see from the pictures that the spoil islands were super crowded and there was a lot of boat activity in the bay.















Cars with kayaks on the top, are a common sight around here.




Key West Express has a fleet of vessels that ferries passengers to Key West on a day trip or to stay as long as you like. The vessel below is the Big Kat Express.



Further back, you can see the flags on the Pieces of Eight pirate ship.


More pictures on the way back across the Sanibel Causeway, in the 'Happy Lane'.













The big news event of the week:


'Ding' Darling National Wildlife Refuge has a new female crocodile.

5 comments:

Gayle said...

You are so brave. I'm not sure I would have left my house with crowds like that. Too many people for me! I'm still amazed at how constant your temperature is when our temperature drops so much at night. We've had high 80's by day and 50 at night. Hope the crowds go home and you can get back to enjoying your beach.

Colton Junod said...

We are coming down June the 10th! Good news about the croc! How many sea turtle nest are on the islands?

Tootie said...

Colton, this is the last report I have, there are hopefully a few more now. It's a little slow, so far this season.

As of May 24, 2010:

East End- 0 nests, 1 false crawl

West End- 5 nests, 2 false crawls

Captiva- 5 nests, 5 false crawls

Colton Junod said...

O ok. I hope the Oil Spill isn't going to destroy the nesting season... AND I hope the Oil Spill DOESN'T reach Sanibel and Captiva. That would be terrible. There wouldn't be any ecosystems left in the water...

Anonymous said...

Thank you, once again, for all of your pictures of Sanibel. I really appreciated seeing one of my favorite restaurants in your pics..The Fish Monger. The last time we were down, they fixed Coconut Shrimp especially for my sister & me on a day they usually don't have it. Such great people there & good food!! We will be coming in (from Ohio) on July 11 for the week, staying at WestWind Inn. Would love to meet you. Praying that the oil doesn't even come close to Sanibel & Captiva. Hugs.