Thursday, January 29, 2009

Tranquil Sanibel Thursday

This was a perfect day for a bike ride. The route today was wonderful and completely different than the one I went on a couple of days ago, except it was a long one too. But, this ride was totally tranquil.

Near the end of Bailey Road there is a very lightly traveled street called Bay Drive. A large part of the Drive is lined on one side by the Bay Drive Preserve and on the other side, the Dunes Preserve Tract G. There are also many beautiful homes along the bay shore and on a canal.

It's a nice shady ride.

There are places to peek out and see the bay.
The water was very clear.

Groups of pelicans feeding.

View of the causeway.

Days like today, make me appreciate the efforts that have and still are put forth by many, to protect our tropical environment. I truly enjoyed looking at the plant life, mangroves, and trees, while I wondered what the name of some of them were. I watched as the brown pelicans dove for fish, gulped them down, then rested as they bobbed up and down on the waves; felt bad for startling a little marsh bunny and for making a tiny lizard scurry across the road for fear of being run over; saw osprey and sea gulls fly overhead, listened to a doves call and other bird sounds.

Oranges nearly ripe.

The Bay Drive Preserve sign bears the names of the donors. The first portion of 7.30acres was given for conservation land in 1976 by Harvey and LaVerne Gigstad. Another portion of 2.30 acres was donated by Robert L. and Ruth E. Dormer, in 1986. To see where the preserves are located, there is a very good map on the SCCF website. You can click on the area you want to see to make it larger. The Dunes Preserve Tract G, consisting of 4.28 acres on the opposite side of the road, was donated by the Mariner Corp in 1984.

This preserve is between Bay Drive and the Bay.

When I got back to Bailey Road, I rode to the end of it and parked the bike. I walked a little on the beach. I found a few pink tellins and one purplish tagleus.

The first pink tellin I found had the tip broken off. :-( But, I was lucky to find any, because I had seen four other people walk over this area ahead of me.

. I helped a tiny starfish back into the water.

There was a fishing boat very close to the shore with a couple of men fishing, one of them caught a fish and released it, as gulls and terns flew around them.

You can see where rough water from the hurricanes washed out a part of this street along the bay, and it is now closed.

Just a few minutes later, I noticed that a fisherman standing on shore had caught a Royal Tern in his line. The boat captain yelled instructions to him, how to untangle it, but he was having quite a problem holding the bird still and get it loose at the same time. Someone had to help him because the line was wrapped around the bird’s neck several times, and it was biting his fingers as he worked with it. In a just a short time the bird was set free.

The next part of the ride was all the way around Sand Castle Road. In one of the lakes by the Dunes Golf Course, an alligator was floating in the water.

Then to put a proper finish to my afternoon; just as I rode into the driveway and got off my bike, I was startled by something flying over me. As I looked up, I saw the underside of an Eagle going over and watched it land right here, in a tree.

I think the only things I left out, were the two times I nearly fell over; but I think I’ll spare you the details of those mishaps. :-)


ღ Alice ღ said...

I am glad you did not get hurt today but you did great finding so much entertainment today on Sanibel, so many sights to see. I cannot believe you saw a Bald Eagle & I am glad the bird got free from the fishing line. Some people would not take the time.

Snowbird said...

Was the bird caught on the guy's hook or just the line? If it was hooked, the bird should have gone to CROW because chances are it had swallowed other hooks too. Or it could get an infection from the hook.

I love Bay Road. So much to see.

Tootie said...

No Snowbird, it wasn't hooked at all. The line went round it's neck several times, so if he had just cut the line it would still have been harmful to the bird. Poor thing was biting the man's fingers as he tried to take the line off it's neck. The bird and the man were both happy when it flew away.

Tootie said...

Snowbird,I had forgotten this part: Gary said that the line was around it's wings and the man got that off, turned it loose and then realized it was still caught and had to pull it back to get the line off it's neck. The boat capt. told him to cut the line, but Gary told him not to, he had to take the line from around it's neck. The captain also told him he should be using hooks that disolve. He was using a lure with a treble hook on it. :-( Thank goodness that didn't get caught in the poor bird. This time it ended ok.

Okiesheller said...

Really enjoyed this post, Tootie. Thank you for the vicarious bike ride and wildlife viewing!


Hyde DP said...

sounds like a lovely outing - a world from our damp grey skies.

George said...

It sounds as if you had a perfect bike ride (except for the near spills).

Cimba7200 said...

Seems like you enjoyed your cycle ride Tootie. That's the way to get around huh? :) - Dave