Monday, August 2, 2010

Thunderstorm Monday

Late this afternoon, we bridged over the bay, to do some grocery shopping. There were some beautiful clouds around, the sky was blue and the sun was shining brightly. We stopped at the nearest Publix.

We were inside for a good while makin groceries, before we were ready to check out. That was when we realized it was storming. We sat down on a bench, just inside the exit door. (While I was sitting there, bored, I started thinking about slang words for a heavy rain. What came of those thoughts, is what you see above and below. Sorry....)

There was a downpour, full blast gully washer, frog choker, toad strangler, goose drownder, lashin down, hosing down, a real soaker, goin' on! Weather not fit for a duck! We were trapped in Publix!

There were a group of other people, also waiting to exit the store. A couple of small children were about to have a conniption fit. I think the problem there could have stemmed from the fact, their Mother chose to mollycoddle them, while they were monkeying around. They were running their Father ragged.

After warming the bench, like bumps on a log , for over 30 minutes, we were getting bored. We were wracking our brains, for a plan to get to our car without getting soaked. That's when the lightning started cracking! Next, the electricity went off or otherwise known as an outage.

One fella made a dry run, to see if his wife could make it; that didn't work out. Several other men were just standing around beatin their gums.

It would've been nice to have had a chauffeur, but that would mean we'd have to foot the bill, that is unless we could get somebody else to settle up.

We waited so long, that we were feeling a little peckish and had to have a tadbit a candy. That only made us parched, which required a slug of bottled water.

We had a barrel of laughs, just watching people foolishly run through the rain and jumping when they saw lightning. One man put an umbrella over the groceries in his cart, then just let his beezer get wet on the way to his car. He looked around, as if to say, what are you gawking at?

Seeing people running in the rain, during an electrical storm, nearly made me get on my soapbox. Knowing they could get hit by lightning was a no-brainer.

After the thunder and lighning stopped, the rain was still pelting down, but we decided to make a run for it. We had our groceries in a poke and only a couple arm loads. I could have done better if I had worn my go-fasters, but we were able to get to the car without getting totally crapped up. As soon as we got the groceries toted to the car, everything was right as rain. However, it did turn out to be a bad hair day!

The rain was still dumpin' down as we crossed the causeway and also on the island. We had a piddling amount of rain, less than around a half inch, here. I would have thought we had more, but we'll take what we get.

We'll be going out again tomorrow, hopefully to the beach,come rain or shine! :)

(It's over now. I'll try to do better tomorrow. Until then; don't take any wooden nickels.)



















10 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha-ha-ha! Sounds like my mother wrote this!

Gayle said...

:) That was so cute and entertaining. Reminded me of a show about the gold rush times that I've been to.

sue in mexico mo said...

L O L That was a fun read!

Tootie said...

Chris! Are you saying that I'm old enough to be your mother? :)

Alice In Wonderland Rocks said...

My favorite photo's are the 2nd & 6th one. The rain looks pretty heavy,glad I wasnt in it,can you say panic attack. Our family has been sick so I havent been online much,I've missed reading your blogs I must say,they make me feel closer to Sanibel :) Thank you Tootie :):)

RottenMom said...

Funny Lady! One of my favorite all time posts of yours!And favorites of yours, I have many!!! I shall leave you with this:

Rain

I opened my eyes
And looked up at the rain,
And it dripped in my head
And flowed into my brain,
And all that I hear as I lie in my bed
Is the slishity-slosh of the rain in my head.

I step very softly,
I walk very slow,
I can't do a handstand--
I might overflow,
So pardon the wild crazy thing I just said--
I'm just not the same since there's rain in my head.

Shel Silverstein

Dave said...

How about "raining cats and dogs"?

Or a Sannibel twist, "raining seashells and spoonbills"

sue in mexico mo said...

Tootie, I have a question. What are your "go-faster" shoes? I am picturing something winged. . .

Caroline said...

What a hoot! My daughter and I sat in the car at Office Depot watching the gullywasher we got here yesterday. We'd have drowned trying to get into the store, so we stationed ourselves in the parking lot and watched the lunatics barreling through water running up over the curb. She amused herself taking pictures with her cell phone of roostertails and bow waves thrown up by the cars. All the crazies are not in southwest Florida, some of them are in southwest South Dakota, too.

Tootie said...

Don, I actually thought of cats and dogs while sitting there and then after my brain was 'stewed' I 'spaced it' later. :) I kind of like that raining seashells idea.

Sue, the 'go-faster' shoes, were just tennis shoes, without wings. LOL

I really had my 'head up my ***' or I would have taken pictures. I wish I had, there would have been some pretty good ones.