Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sanibel All Around

The City of Sanibel opened new, solar powered, public restroom facilities near the City Boat Ramp. A 100% native vegetation is still to be planted to finish the project. This project was entirely funded by the Tourist Development Council of the Lee County Visitor & Convention Bureau.

It was opened a few weeks ago and I finally went there today to take a picture, so I could get it posted. I'm sure all those folks who frequent the boat ramp or picnic area, will certainly appreciate it. :)




I walked over to the picnic area to take a look at the clouds, because we're still wishing for rain.


Clouds were coming this way! I could see it raining on the mainland. A couple of fishermen were still trying to get their day's catch, before it rained. I saw this guy catch a nice size fish, just as I was leaving.








Yes! Clouds overhead!


Some pretty flowers and tree, along the way.




Next stop, Lighthouse Beach. I had doubts that we would be there long, because these clouds were looming overhead.


Looked pretty good in that direction.


What I saw straight out, over the water, was a little scary. I had to do that in three pictures.

The left side


Center


And right.


Someone had written in huge letters, across the sand; HELP THE EARTH.







Even with lightning in the distance, there were still a lot of people in the water. A couple of dolphins had just passed very close to them.


Mommas pointing at clouds and yelling at kids to come in.


Very poor shelling there, at the time.










People finally packing things up to leave. That's what we did, also.

Driving on Middle Gulf Drive, we discovered that the Dolphins weren't looking good today. This dolphin was down; maybe a hit and run?


This one may be on his way down too. Now there's one more use for Duck Tape; and you thought it was just for Ducks. Now didn't you?


A while later, we drove over to West Gulf Drive and went out to the beach at resident access 2. There were more dark clouds moving past.


If you look closely you'll see a sea turtle nest.


Another sea turtle nest hiding there.


There really weren't any prize shells laying on the beach. But it was nice having the beach all to ourselves. The cool wind felt pretty good too!









I could see a few shells in the water. So, off went the flip flops and in I went.


I find a very small cockle shell, both halves still together.


Then I picked up one that was a pretty, dark color and a Key Hole Limpet.




Then, it seemed like the dark clouds were getting pretty close, so I got ready to leave.




Behind us, the sky was still a pretty blue and the sun was shining, I could still feel it burning on my skin.




As I was walking out of the water, I found a live Whelk, said hello, and put it back.


Just before I reached the sand, a light rain came. But, by the time we got over to the beach access, it stopped. :( No rain for us today.

4 comments:

iLoveShelling said...

Can't wait to check out the new solar bathrooms. Very smart.

Dani said...

Beautiful cloud photos....

Thanks for sharing! Everyday I think of Sanibel...seriously missing it!

Shari Sherman said...

Hi Tootie, thanks for stopping by my blog today. I love your blog and all of the island updates. I'll definitely be checking back. I can't wait to cross the bridge!!! :-)Shari

sue in mexico mo said...

Tootie, now that you are a native, what is your favorite sunscreen and favorite insect repellent?