Friday, March 5, 2010

Sanibel Shells On Friday

The cold weather continues with 45 degrees last night and only up to 58 today. There was NNW wind with gusts up to 18 mph. Around 1:30 PM we decided to brave the traffic and go to the beach. We went to resident access 5, off West Gulf Drive. Walking the path to the beach, it didn't seem uncomfortably cold. But, as soon as we left the protection of the trees and walked out onto the beach, the wind felt much colder.







I was thrilled to see lots of shells! There were plenty to look through, even piles in some areas. As I walked along the beach, the wind was so strong that it blew my hood up onto my head. At least that was a help. I filled both my sweatshirt pockets with shells to replace some of my 'give away' shells. I wasn't nearly ready to quit, but the cold was really getting to me and the cold wind was making my eyes water so much that I could hardly see anyway.

The wind was even blowing the poor birds sideways down the beach.



You have your cyber shelling job cut out for you today. :) Just click on the pictures for a closer look.
















It was so nice to see plenty of shells again. :)
















There was a little excitement going on, just as we were leaving. Four girls clad in bikinis ran into the water, where they swam around for a while.


When they got back out of the water, they wrapped themselves in towels, while a lady took their picture. I don't know how they could do it, even the birds seemed to be cold. They were putting their heads in their feathers, trying to stay warm.


Hopefully tomorrow will be a little warmer.

2 comments:

Rachel Layfield said...

Hi Tootie,
This is Rachel Layfield. You read my blog, and I wanted to tell you thank you and it is nice to meet you. My husband and I have been together for 10 years, and have been going to Sanibel with his family for 10 years...It is absolutely my favorite place. We started dating in 10th grade, had vaactions there, and that is where he proposed. I am so glad to meet someone from there. I love your blogs, and cannot wait to be down there in June! Keep in touch, and read my blog!:)

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

I do hope it starts to warm up for you soon. I have heard the shells were coming in of late. Wishing I was there, despite the cold!!