Saturday, October 10, 2009

Restful Sanibel Saturday

It was a nice day to be here on the island, even though I didn't do much but rest. This evening I went out to a causeway island to check out the sunset. It didn't look like it was going to be that great, so I took one photo of of the clouds, as I looked toward the Sanibel lighthouse, then went back to make a stop at the for a few things at Bailey's grocery store. When I came back out, there were a lot of pink cotton candy clouds. I should have stayed for the sunset after all.

Tonight, a friend told me that they were on the beach around resident access 7, off West Gulf Drive this evening, when they saw an upside down rainbow. They had never seen one before, or heard of one. Neither had I, so I had to research to find out if such a thing does happen and why. And.....yes, they do. The correct scientific term for it is a circumzenithal arc. It is caused by sunlight shining through a thin, invisible screen of tiny ice crystals high in the sky and has nothing at all to do with rain. It is a very unusual phenomenon and not really a rainbow. I wish I could have seen it.

She also told me that she has hardly found any shells this week to take home. The shells seem to be a little scarce right now. Conditions just haven't been to favorable.





2 comments:

L. Neusiedler said...

wonderful, puts me in a mood for a lazy summer Sunday... but here we already have a cold autumn day.

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

We were able to hit Lighthouse Beach last night. The noseeums were terrible! But I did find a few shells. I even found a wentletrap!!! Maybe I'll make my first post from our new laptop!! Yes, the sky was fabulous last night, but I didn't get any pics.