Thursday, August 27, 2009

Blind Pass Fishing, Anyone?

Most of you that come to my blog, are very familiar with Sanibel and Captiva. But, there may be some of you who don't know that Sanibel & Captiva were separated by a channel of water that connected the bay with the gulf. This area, called Blind Pass was known as a popular shelling and fishing spot. In the 90's the pass began to fill with sand and over time, closed completely. As the water flow from bay to gulf diminished, the local environment started to deteriorate and the game fishing became poor. An attempt was made to dredge an opening through the sand, but the pass filled in again in only a few days. In 2008 another much more involved restoration process began, by dredging Blind Pass, Wulfert Channel and portions of Roosevelt Channel. There is also a long term maintenance program planned.

Blind Pass is open with water flowing through it once again, and I am guessing that the game fish may be returning, because the banks of the pass were lined with fishermen today. By the time this video was taken, the threatening clouds had already sent most of them away. But, I think it is safe to say that if all goes according to plan, the entire ecosystem will benefit from this re-opening.

Best viewed in HD on YouTube by clicking on the screen below.

10 comments:

Kathi said...

I visited Sanibel a long time ago before the pass closed. I remember it as being a beautiful spot. I'm glad it has been reopened. Thanks so much for your videos!

Snowbird said...

That is pretty amazing. Can't wait to see it. I bet a lot of people are walking the bridge now since they can't just walk across the beach from Sanibel to Captiva.

Thomas Pryor said...

Hi Tootie, I've been to Sanibel twice in 1989 and 1990 and heard about the Blind Pass, hope it holds and the game fish return, thanks for the video, take care, Tommy

Melli said...

That is definitely interesting! I'm sitting here wondering... 1) If God had a purpose for closing up that opening... and if he did 2)what he thinks about Man's efforts to restore it! LOL! OR 3) if teaching man how to restore it WAS His plan!? I'm putting THIS on my list of questions to ask when I meet Him!
Man's battle with nature always intrigues me! It sure does look like a beauuuuutiful place to fish! And a nice place to stroll as well.

Unknown said...

It was a prime spot for snook fishing before it closed up,hopefully it will be again.Jon's ready!

Alice In Wonderland Rocks said...

I like it open more then closed...I read somewhere that it has closed up on it's own before...I hope it stays open though..thanks for the update Tootie..I so can't wait to see it in person next weekend.

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Thanks for sharing the progress at Blind Pass. It's been nice to see a running account of what's been going on. I'm looking forward to seeing it in about 6 weeks!!!

Anonymous said...

Has anyone caught any keeper fish at Blind Pass since it has been restored and reopened???

Tootie said...

I've been hearing that the fishing has been very good, with some nice size catches. The prediction is that the fishing will get better and better in the pass.

Unknown said...

I was thinking about going there tomorrow to fish for a little while in the morning....didnt want to go untill i read that people are catching fish.... so i will go and hopefully beable to reassure that the pass is indeed fishable...wish me luck