Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Lighthouse Beach Tuesday

It was 83 today and cloudy this afternoon. We had no rain on this part of the island, but I was told that they had a little rain toward the west end of the island. We could sure use some rain. I can tell that the lawns, trees and plants are suffering a little if there is no irrigation nearby.

I took some photos and video at the Lighthouse Beach this evening. There was only one area where I found a shell pile and that was just around the tip of the island, between the lighthouse and the fishing pier. I spent quite a while digging through the shells and found several mini shells that I brought home. One was the smallest juvenile horse conch that I have ever seen. By the time I was ready to leave, the wind was getting a little cool.


click to enlarge photos.









Not sure what this was. It was right at the water's edge and was a live thing of some sort. After doing some research, I'm pretty sure it is a Sea Slug, sometimes called a Sea Hare. First time I've seen one of these guys.


All I saw of the sunset was peeking through these trees.

All of the little kitten paws are for my friends collection. For all the time I spent looking, I sure didn't find many.









These are the little shells from yesterday evening. The white one is the baby's ear and the next one is a drill, next a keyhole limpet and last, a little shark's eye.



12 comments:

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Wonderful collection of smalls. Looks like the tide was out at bit at the Lighthouse.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Neat, Tootie... Love the tiny shells. Neat sunset also ... AND the little sand castle reminded me of ones my sons used to make when we'd go to the beach.

Hugs,
Betsy

Tink *~*~* said...

That keyhole limpet is just the cutest little thing :)

Tink *~*~*

Unknown said...

Love the Baby's Ear!

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I've never seen a babys ear or a limpet in person. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Is there a lot of red algae lately?

Snowbird said...

When I first saw the Sea Slug, it looked like an alligator head. Weird.

Melli said...

You know... as much as I enjoy seeing all your finds and learning new things... I'd give almost anything to have NOT learned about that sea slug today! LOL! EW! I'm one of those crazy people who still swims in the ocean barefoot!

Tootie said...

Melli, I'm sure that fella would have scampered away when he saw your footies coming. :-) I am usually barefoot on the beach too.

It seems like the red drift algae has mostly gone away. I read somewhere over a week ago, that it was moving west and would go on out into the gulf. I hope that's correct. :-)

Gayle said...

83 sounds devine. I am freezing...I just stood outside forever trying to take a photo of the chickadees, but they were hiding. I can't believe how tiny the shells are! Oh, and tag..you're it!

gpc said...

I love the baby ear -- I found my one and only when I was with you, which is how I know what it is! Speaking of miniatures, I had a bunch of my minis in a cute little holder on my dresser, and this morning while I was in another room, it burst and scattered all over! Has that ever happened to you, or is it just my karma biting me in the butt again?

loriann signori said...

It's so nice to see Sanibel on your blog. I can't wait to get back there sometime! Till then I will check out your blog Tootie.

christabelle said...

Your mini sell finds are beautiful. I think that the one thing that I always love about Sanibel is that even in high season it looks like you can still have a little piece of beach all to yourself if you look for one. Simply paradise!! Thanks for sharing.