Friday, March 6, 2009

Friday Frown

I was at the beach again this evening in the Pointe Santo area, off West Gulf Drive. It wasn't a very pleasant experience and put a frown on my face for a while. There was more red drift algae than there was yesterday. It was on the beach and also floating in the water. There were also lots of tubes of parchment tube worms lying on the beach, along with a few sea urchins, small shells, mostly broken pieces and some live shells mixed in too. It was all beginning to smell pretty bad after lying in the sun all day.

So, instead of thinking about that, I focused my attention on the birds that were having a great time feeding from it. I guess sometimes you just have to take the bad, in order to have the good. Hopefully the algae won't stay long. There are most likely other areas of the beach that may not have red drift algae present.

We had a few clouds hanging around this evening, but no rain. The temperatures now are great! The 7 day forecast shows, somewhere from 76 to 80 in the daytime and mid to high 60's at night. For me, that's perfect! :-)











Can be seen in HD Full Screen on YouTube.

10 comments:

Alice In Wonderland Rocks said...

Great :( and we'll be there tomorrow. I have no clue what a parchment tube worm is but am going to Google it now.
At least the weather sounds good for the weekend. Thanks for the pics & video :)

Alice In Wonderland Rocks said...

Thank you so much Tootie for the traffic alert on your page. I had no clue but will be extra careful with people on bikes :)

Maria Verivaki said...

that parchment tube worm has also caught my attention...

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Is red drift algae a seasonal type occurance? I don't know much about it, except that it's not pleasant. Perhaps I should do a little Google too!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Well, Toot, as you said--we have to take the bad with the good. And you get lots more good than you do bad. I remember, taking my grandson to the beach in Galveston years ago. When we got there, the entire beach was covered with all kinds of algae (or something). I was SO disappointed.

We're headed to the mountains of Arkansas tomorrow. Have a good week.
Hugs,
Betsy

Tink *~*~* said...

Blech, I hate it when the red drift algae comes! The worst is when it is lurking under the sand and you don't know and sink down into it. Ugh!

Tink *~*~*

toni said...

Tootie- what does it mean when there is red drift algae?

Snowbird said...

So that's what that stuff is-parchment tube worms. I never knew what they were. I just know they make a real mess of the beach. Boy I hope the red drift algae goes away. Between the economy and a lot of algae, Sanibel would really suffer. Although it would help take care of the horrible traffic problem. LOL

Gayle said...

I can see from the video the water and beach are pretty full of nasty stuff. Ewww. Makes this a good time to do some gardening or craft projects, and do a little beach skipping until it clears up.

Louise said...

Your weather sounds perfect for me, too! I love your beach excursions, and am sorry this one wasn't so good. I'm glad the birds got something out of it because it bothers me when I know live things are washed up.

Thanks for your kind comment on my "What's In A Name Post." From your words, I am sure your are a wonderful mother and grandmother!