Saturday, October 4, 2008

Soggy Saturday

This afternoon a friend came over to the island and we went to Casa Ybel Resort to have lunch at Cocconuts by the pool. It was cooler today and breezy. There were some rain clouds coming in from the East, but we decided to take a chance that it wouldn't rain until later.

When we got there, a gentleman we know, was performing there. He is very good and we enjoyed listening to him once more.

There was also a big white tent set up in the lawn between the Thistle Lodge and the beach. The staff was hurriedly making preparations for a wedding. This resort is one of the most beautiful places on the island for a wedding. Lots of people come to Sanibel and Captiva for a beautiful, tropical wedding.

Our lunch was very good. But, just after we ate, it began to rain. There wasn't any wind, so we were comfortable sitting at the table with a big umbrella over us. Everyone who was at tables or sitting at the pool bar stayed. After about 20 minutes it quit and looked like it was over.

The workers under the tent had quickly hung some of the side curtains on to keep the rain from coming in. Preparations continued. Just before that rain stopped, some of the guests began arriving. I think it was about that time that we noticed some very dark clouds coming in from the southeast.

The bridal party gradually arrived and after a while walked out to take their place on the beach where the ceremony was to be. Then the bride was brought out to the walkway to the beach in a golf cart. She and (I imagine) her Father, kicked their shoes off beside the boxes that had flip flops inside for the guests to use. I think the bridal party went barefoot. A man was sitting over to one side of the walkway under an umbrella, playing the wedding march on a portable electric piano. The wedding ceremony was probably about half over when the dark clouds came over. The wind started blowing and the rain started suddenly. They stayed on the beach for a while, but the rain got heavier and heavier until it was a real downpour. At that point the bride and groom came running toward the tent, the others followed. A few of them had umbrellas and were trying to help cover other people. When they all got inside, they finished the ceremony. It seemed that they adjusted quickly and just made the best of the situation. I'm sure the photos of the before and after of the beach setup will bring them some laughter in a few years.

All in all it was a very pleasant afternoon, for us anyway.


Snowbird said...

Great story. Nothing like a soggy bride! I've never eaten at Coconuts. Sounds like fun--Looks good too.

antigoni said...

A very pleasant way to spend your afternoon. Very nice photos.