Thursday, October 2, 2008

No Beach Walk Thursday

I was too busy today to make it out on the beach. So, I'm sharing a couple pictures of some mini-shells I found a while back.

I've had these shells for about 6 months. They are really tiny ones, some are not much bigger than a grain of rice. All of these were found out on the beach of a causeway island. I had never found any shells there before, but I had heard about the little rice like shells that other people had found. I just happened to see one and when I bent over to take a closer look, I started seeing them mixed in with other tiny shells. I got started picking through them and totally lost track of the time. These are the ones I carried home with me that day. My eyes were sure tired and I've decided you need a magnifying glass for that job. :-)But, I can see that collecting the miniature ones is really fun.


6 comments:

antigoni said...

I have really small shells myself. I love your collection.

Leora said...

What wonderful little shells. I love the way you used the quarter to show scale. I keep shells in the bathroom, but my daughter likes to play with them, and sometimes I find crushed shells on the bathroom floor. We don't make it to the beach often.

Maria Verivaki said...

i love your collections, too, what treasure you can seek on your island

Melli said...

Now THOSE little shells go cheap at Sea Shell City! I bought two big bags of them for $10!!! That is what I put down in the hermit crab tank - they seem to like them for a base. But you'd think for needing a magnifying glass to find them that they'd want more for them wouldn't ya? They probably use a sifter to get them... there ya go! Get yourself a sifter!

Tink *~*~* said...

They look like itty bitty baby white melampus to me. My SIL found a mature one, maybe 2" long, at the Lighthouse Beach one time. In fact, I think it was "Slackeranda" who identified it for me!

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*

Intarsia Bindoff said...

I went to Sanibel several years ago. Beautiful place. I love the way you show the size of the shells with the coin.

http://warriorpoet.org/barkingquill