Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wednesday Evening Beach Walk

It was a pretty hot day here, but after running some errands; decided to check out the beach conditions.

Went to access #4 today. Had to stop to say hi to the toucans, then hurried on up the path between 4015 and Mitchell's. Reaching the beach, there was a welcoming breeze. Oh yeah, Life Is Good!

The brown color in the water has been gradually clearing in the past two days. It still has a way to go, but looks much better. Mote Marine Laboratory, testing today, shows that the water color is moderate. There are no signs of Red Tide or Red Drift Algae.







At first glance to the left and straight ahead, it didn't look like there were many shells. But, looking to the right, you could see a sandbar exposed. The tide was very low, just like last evening.

There were several people on the beach this evening. Two different groups were out bobbing around in the water.













Sitting on the sandbar was a lady with a dog, and the man with her, was in the shallow tidal pool snorkeling.



Near the end of the trench, there was a pile of shells that had been left by the high tide. That pile, in some places, was almost 8 to 10 inches deep. There were no tracks around it, nor did it look like anyone had been digging in it. We dug around for a while and found a few shells that we wanted to keep. But, I'm sure a lot of people would have found shells there, that they wanted to take. But after shelling on Sanibel beaches for years, you have so many around the house that you have to be very selective about what you carry away.

You can tell from the pictures I took in different places around that pile, what kind of shells were there. Everyone has their own idea about which shells are worthy of a ride home with them. :-)If you are interested in finding photos and names of our Southwest Florida shells, check out the Shell Museum list.

The best part of it all, was a long shallow trench with water trapped in it from high tide. That water was clear and it's so nice to walk in and look for shells. That's one of my favorite things to do on the beach. The first thing we saw was a tulip, but after picking it up, realized it was a live one. So, we put it back. After walking a little further, there was another tulip and it wasn't occupied. :-) Shortly after that the was a juvenile horse conch laying all by itself, just waiting to be picked up. The trench started a little way past Mitchell's and access 4, to just past access 6.












































The waves had brought in two jelly fish and left them on the beach.






Lots of tiny coquinas were trying to wiggle their way back down into the sand, after each wave washed over them.







The sun was getting kind of low, when it was time to leave.



On the little walk back to access 4, I thought about how peaceful it is here on the beach. It's hard to imagine that this time of year could bring a hurricane to disturb this.



Here's a picture of the keeper shells. The funny part of this story, is how the two cones were laid on the beach for a picture after digging them out. Then, I went away and forgot them laying there. :-) I think that should help someone else find them, anyway it's all good.

5 comments:

gpc said...

Oh No! I saw the cones and my heart beat a little faster - I can never find enough of those, it would have made me crazy to leave them behind!

It is hard not to go home with shells, no matter how hard I try. You got some nice worm shells - and a pretty nice lace murex, I've only found one that was really spikey. And I love finding orange scallops and juveniles, they add a little zip to my shell bowls. I am trying hard not to brood with jealousy as I read your posts.

Another beautiful walk, at a beautiful low tide. Loved it.

Snowbird said...

"That water was clear and it's so nice to walk in and look for shells. That's one of my favorite things to do on the beach."

Me too, Tootie. I love walking in the shallows. It is warm and clear and so nice and relaxing.

And thanks for the chance to cybershell. It is the next best thing to being there. When I saw the cone, I got so excited. I can't believe you left it there. Do you think it will still be there next week for me to find? LOL

Melli said...

WOW! You really got a good haul! I would be SO excited if I ever found even ONE of those at our beach! I wonder why it is that some areas get a LOT of good shells, and other places just don't... maybe the surf is too rough on the ocean side? The gulf is smaller waves... oh well! Another beautiful walk you took us on! I LOVE going with you!

Judy said...

I enjoy so much coming over here to see your pictures. They are so beautiful and you live in such a beautiful place. I love the shells you picked out to keep. Thanks for sharing.

Tink *~*~* said...

Excellent cyber-shelling, Tootie. Thanks! I'll be out there this weekend to see if Gustav is going to leave any parting gifts. Love your little mac-n-cheese's! :D

Tink *~*~*