Saturday, August 23, 2008

Saturday At The Beach

A friend called around 11:00 AM to say she was on her way to the island, to go shelling on Light House Beach. I called her back in the early afternoon. She had walked the beach and waded in the water searching for shells. After only finding a few paper figs, she was ready for lunch. We made a plan to meet at Jerry’s.

After eating, we went to Access #6 on West Gulf. The paths leading to the beach are just beautiful and the most pleasant walk.

When I saw the ocean, the first thing I noticed was how brown the water was. There was a lot of sand in it. The waves were bigger today, I don’t know how big, but I’m guessing around 3 to 4’. There were reports on the weather radio this morning warning boaters of the rough water.

A quick look to the left and then to the right; not many people out again today. I think we saw a total of 10 people while we were there.

Walking nearer the water, I could tell there weren’t many shells coming in. But at least there were some. There were ark shells and some other ordinary types lying around on the nearest tide line. A few small shells were washing up with each wave. I saw a cone, about 2” long roll up, but a wave took it right back and I didn’t see it again. A little way out in the water, there was a small ledge where you could use a dip net to scoop up some shells to look through. But, I only found 2 small scallops that I kept. In some spots there were more than in others. Some places you could only see crumbs.

This is probably just the beginning, a little preview. At least that’s what I’m hoping. If the westerly winds and rough seas have the shells stirred up, maybe more shells will be coming in tomorrow. That’s the thrill of the hunt; you never know what you will find.

The waves were washing away a small ledge in one spot, and exposing some shells that were burried in it.

I heard my friend say something and I looked around to see a bird just hanging, right above her head, supported by the wind. It couldn’t have been more than 8 or 10” above her, and didn't move for a while. I tried to get a picture, but of course I was too slow and the bird had moved to one side.

Dark, clouds were beginning to hang overhead, so we made our departure.

Just as we got started on the path back, it began to rain lightly.

Someone had planted about 8 little fern or palm type plants on the side of the access path.

We wanted to check for shells at Blind Pass, and decided we would drive there and maybe by the time we got there the rain would have stopped. But, unfortunately that wasn’t the case. It was still raining. There weren’t any shells there, but we watched several people out in the rough water, swimming and surf boarding. That would be far too risky for me, but they seemed to know what they were doing.

That was our beach experience for today. Hopefully we’ll make it back tomorrow and find mega bunches of shells to show you.

I hope you enjoy the pictures and click on them to enlarge, so that you can get the full effect.



is this sanibel island? my american friend told me all about the island only just a few days ago, and how you can collect seashells there. i can't believe i've chanced on your blog!

i too live on an island, but quite different from your one... you live in a wonderful place!

Drowsey Monkey said...

Love the photos ... and your blog! I miss living near the beach.


goodness, i forgot to tell you that the mama in the story you read about the fish shop was the person who told me all about sanibel island - she had driven her whole family out there once (4 daughters)

Teena in Toronto said...

I adore the beach!

Cecelia---Sis---Mom said...

What a nice, peaceful walk and the shells are so pretty.